10 January 2013

Film: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Thoughts: Despite my general reluctance to watch the original trilogy, and my wariness for the length of this one, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey went down surprisingly well. I never really felt the length, which was a big surprise (.....that's what she said HEY-O!) but what really got me was how this felt like a grand adventure filled with wonder, as opposed to an arduous trek filled with certain death. I loved the fight scenes in particular, but the interplay between the Dwarves was also very well-handled and fun.

From imdb:
"A younger and more reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out on a "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of Dwarves to reclaim a their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug."

There are a lot of familiar faces (and voices) throughout the film, and it shows when it comes to dealing with so many characters onscreen at one time. Sure, names are easily forgotten- especially among some of the less vocal Dwarves- but I can even recall some of the names to the faces, which must be saying something. The dialogue is good enough, and the way everybody harmonizes is wonderful.

The action sequences are plenty and bristling with energy and amazing visuals, which was absolutely amazing to find. The Dwarves are surprisingly nimble, and very formidable when it comes to large battles, with all manner of creatures, big and small. Peter Jackson indulges a fair bit, and who can blame him really. New Zealand truly is a beautiful country. And these actors certainly aren't to be trifled with. All the players and crew obviously have a fair bit invested in the whole enterprise, and it shows, to our benefit.

But yes, very much a grand adventure. I think a big part of what always irritated me with The Lord Of The Rings was how, halfway through the first book/film, the fellowship is formed, and asses are preparing to be kicked. Half a book/film later, boom, no more group. That always pissed me off, made me feel like an awesome opportunity was wasted. Of course, that all fit in with the theme and feel of those stories. Here though, wonder and high adventure are the name of the game, and despite a few moments where I thought they were going to drop their shit, the pack stayed together. And I really enjoyed that.

I'd watch it again. Which I honestly cannot believe I'm saying.

4.5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment